Tracked USA 281 (43145) Yet AGAIN!

This was another hour standing in a cold, wet field taking photos. I got USA 281 yet again, three images. I used a different method to set the time in my DSLR this time and i am going to reduce observations tomorrow and submit them. Hopefully I will find a method that will produce acceptable observations.
In the meantime I am also installing Satvid via the Docker container and that may give me a better workflow.
USA 281 is a reliable satellite to track while I perfect my techniques.

2 Likes

Persistence pays off! Thanks for the update.

2 Likes

Marco Langbroek has told me how he sets the time in his DSLR and the surprise to me is that it is harder to get an accurate time than it seems like it should be. If we could land a person on the Moon you would think that we could get accurate time.

I am going to see how the latest three photos, and the observations from them, compare to the orbit. I am hoping that my current way of setting the time will produce better observations.

Charles

1 Like

Just submitted five new observations - when I thought I submitted six! One thing to add - allow us to see the submitted observations. I wonder if I mixed two of them up??

These are my latest ones on USA 281 (43145) on 21 Jan 2020.

Charles

1 Like

Hi @CharlesHouston,

Thanks for the feedback. I want to clarify the feature request you mentioned, “allow us to see the submitted observations.” Your profile should list observations you’ve submitted. Do you mean you’re looking for more info than what’s shown in this list? For example, seeing the raw IODs for each observation?

Thanks,
Mike

1 Like

Mike -

My note taking has not always been complete. I take a photo and see a streak from a satellite, each end of the streak becomes an observation. I have sometimes gotten home and wondered was the satellite going left to right or right to left?

Mike McCants has caught at least one time when I recalled it wrongly - so could we see IOD formats that we have submitted and get a chance to edit them?

This is a “nice to have” since its just about as good to move to the next set of observations.

Charles

Hi @CharlesHouston,

I hear you. The ability to edit previously submitted user data is totally reasonable to expect, and it’s how most platforms work in other domains. But the TruSat system depends on its data being immutable. One reason is that it makes it more difficult for users to game the reputation system (something we have to anticipate with the platform’s growth). But the immutability is also a feature that opens up new possibilities for TruSat as a decentralized system. For a more detailed discussion, see the technical overview of the Proof of Satellite engine.

FWIW, we’ve released an update since the time of your original post with a new option to view and download your previous observations from your account settings page.

1 Like

Maybe I could modify my comment - we “need” some feedback where new observers can submit observations and get good feedback. So new observers could submit observations that are only added to the final observation list after the observations are “correct”.

I have been observing BUT had not submitted observations. After going through the process I was VERY glad to see TruSat arrive on the scene since I learned a lot and you provide a much improved way of formatting observations. Thanks! After submitting a number of observations I have gotten feedback and see where I am making mistakes. Then I could start tracking down things like: what time is it, really? What is a good source of time? What data format to use? TruSat introduced me to the World Wide Telescope option in Astrometry.net and they give two sets of values. RA is explicitly in H M S, Dec is just numbers. I thought that it was Format 2, but now think that it is format 1.
Etc

Hi @CharlesHouston,
Thanks for the feedback. I’m working on a “weighting” algorithm which might include your observations in analyses, but discount them (or ignore them) if they’re too far from other likely-good observations.

With this, you could still use the “Your Observations” links to look at the residuals for your observations (position, time, cross-track error).

I’d love to add a feature where we can discuss individual observations, groups of observations, or objects – likely linked to this forum.

In the meantime - keep asking your questions here, and we’ll all try to help.

1 Like

Thanks. So far TruSat has been very helpful - as opposed to SeeSat. I have exchanged email with Mike and even talked to him once, he has caught and corrected some of my errors - etc. But training the next generation of observers is not in his job description.

Charles